Biology Scholars Program
Any Biology major working toward the requirements below is considered a Biology Scholar. Any student who completes the below requirements earns Biology Departmental Honors and will be recognized at graduation, receive a certificate from the department, and have this designation noted on their transcript. .
- Complete 6 hours of BIO 395 (Independent Research).
- Have an overall 3.5 GPA upon graduation.
- Complete two biology scholars courses or two 400G*, 500 or 600** level Biology (BIO) courses, or a combination of a BIO scholars course and a 400G/500/600 BIO course. You can find a list of eligible courses each semester here.
- Publically present your research results or write a thesis. Presentations can take many forms such as a talk or poster at a professional meeting or to some other group larger than a research lab. The University hosts an undergraduate research poster session late in each Spring semester. A thesis is also acceptable (see UK thesis guidelines); contact DUS for more information on the thesis.
- Complete the Biology Scholars Application during the semester of your planned graduation (due October 20 for December graduates OR March 20 for May graduates).
*To receive Scholars credit for a 400G course, you must complete the “G”, or graduate level, course requirements. Inform your instructor that you would like to use the course as a Scholars course and submit written verification from them that you completed the "G" requirements of the course.
**600 level courses require special permission to register. Complete the “Undergraduate Enrollment in a Graduate-Level Course” form.
For additional information contact Dr. Jennifer Osterhage, email@example.com, 257-9322.