Considering research in Microbiology (BIO 397) as an elective? Check out the information HERE.
Download the PRINTABLE PAGE here.
The minor in Microbiology consists of a total of 19 hours as follows:
- BIO 308 General Microbiology (3)
- BIO 309 Microbiology Laboratory (2)
- BCH 401G Fundamentals of Biochemistry (3)
BIO 315 Introduction to Cell Biology (4)
CHE 550 Biological Chemistry I (3)
CHE 552 Biological Chemistry II (3)
One course from the following:
- BIO/MI 494G Immunobiology (3)
- BIO/MI 495G Bacterial Pathogenesis (3)
- BIO/MI 582 Virology (3)
If more than one course is taken from this list, the additional course(s) would count as an elective for the minor.
Select 7 or 8 hours of electives (to make a total of 19 hours for the minor) from:
- BIO 397 Research in Microbiology (1-3)
- BIO 427 Seminar in Microbiology (1)
- ABT/BIO/ENT/FOR 461 Introduction to Population Genetics (3)
- CPH 310 Disease Detectives: Epidemiology in Action (3)
- FSC 530 Food Microbiology (5)
- PLS 566 Soil Microbiology (3)
- PLS 567 Methods in Soil Microbiology (1)
- PPA 500 Physiology of Plant Health and Disease (3)
- Other microbiology-related courses at the 300-level or above, as approved by the Director of Undergraduate Studies for the Microbiology minor, Dr. Ruth Beattie.
High achieving students may take advanced level course work from (permission of the Dean of the Graduate School is required to register for these courses):
- FSC 632 Foodborne Disease Agents (3)
- PPA 650 Fungal Biology (3)
- PPA 670 Plant Bacteriology (1)
- PPA 671 Advanced Plant Virology (2)