Any Biology major working toward the requirements below is considered a Biology Scholar. Any student who completes the below requirements earns Biology Departmental Honors and will be recognized at graduation, receive a certificate from the department, and have this designation noted on their transcript.
- Complete 6 hours of Independent Research (BIO 394, BIO 395, BIO 397, or BIO 398) or course-based undergraduate research at the 300-level or above (check with the DUS about specific courses).
- Have an overall 3.5 GPA upon graduation.
- Complete two biology scholars courses (aka Honors courses/sections) or two 400G*, 500 or 600** level course that is an accepted Biology elective (check here), or a combination of a BIO scholars course and a 400G/500/600 Biology elective course. Honors conversion for a Biology elective or Tier I or Tier II Core course is also acceptable.
- Publicly present your research results or write a thesis. Presentations can take many forms such as a talk or poster at a professional meeting or to some other group larger than a research lab. The University hosts an undergraduate research poster session late in each Spring semester. A thesis is also acceptable (see UK thesis guidelines); contact DUS for more information on the thesis.
- Complete the Biology Scholars Application during the semester of your planned graduation.
Deadline to apply for December graduation: October 15
Deadline to apply for May and August graduation: March 15
*To receive Scholars credit for a 400G course, you must complete the “G”, or graduate level, course requirements. Inform your instructor that you would like to use the course as a Scholars course and submit written verification from them that you completed the "G" requirements of the course.
**600 level courses require special permission to register. Complete the “Undergraduate Enrollment in a Graduate-Level Course” form.
All courses used to satisfy Biology Scholars requirements must be taken for a letter grade.
For additional information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.