Application checklist for PhD or thesis MS
1. Before you apply, we strongly recommend you examine the clusters of faculty by interest group, read their web pages, and identify individuals who are of interest to you as a potential mentor.
2. Write to any faculty member who you think could be your mentor to inquire whether the lab group has openings. Take some time to explain why you are interested working with them, what you would bring to the lab in terms of skills and experience, and your goals for your degree.
3. Decide, with consultation of your potential mentors, whether you will apply for the PhD or MS degree
4. Take the GRE and, if English is not your native language, one of the language tests (TOEFL or ILTS).
5. The application will ask you to insert a personal statement. We recommend you take some time to prepare this, and we have some instructions to give you guidance.
6. Prepare a CV so it is available to upload. See here for instructions.
7. Arrange for letters of reference to be submitted.
8. Have an unofficial copy of your transcripts available to be uploaded
9. Apply! You will do this through the Graduate School’s application portal. Please contact us if you have any questions!
Note: Biology does not require a separate assistantship applicaiton, so once you are done with #9, you are all set!