The Inclusive Excellence (DEI) Committee aims to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in the Department of Biology in a number of ways including:
- Developing zero-tolerance, anti-racism and anti-discrimination policies and putting procedures in place that effectively handle complaints about racism, discrimination, and harassment.
- Reviewing and propose changes to policies and practices to enable equity, diversity and inclusion for groups that have been historically excluded.
- Organizing events--such as speakers, workshops, lunch and learns, journal clubs, courses, and social gatherings--where honest and open discussions can occur.
- Creating a reporting system for all department members and space to have conversations about racially charged incidents.
- Providing support for the recipients of the bias and consequences for the person(s) responsible.
- Working with campus organizations (such as LSAMP) that support undergraduate and graduate students who are underrepresented, first-generation, non-traditional, or disabled.
- Recommending best practices to department administration and department committees.
Inclusive Excellence (DEI) Committee Information
- Charge statement: PDF
- Department plan for 2023-2024: PDF
- Committee membership can be found on the department's standing committees page
Reporting issues, concerns, or incidents
- Reports or concerns can be delivered anonymously to the Biology Inclusive Excellence Committee via this
reporting form (name/email fields are optional).
- The University of Kentucky also has a Discrimination, Harassment, or Sexual Misconduct Report Form for reporting discrimination, harassment, or sexual misconduct. You may also make a report by contacting the Office of Institutional Equity and Equal Opportunity at 859-257-8927 and speaking with a staff member.
- Concerns can also be sent to Dr. Christia Spears Brown, Associate Dean of Inclusive Excellence in the College of Arts & Sciences: email@example.com
- If you would like to get in touch with the Inclusive Excellence (DEI) Committee directly via e-mail, messages can sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- None of these options are mutually exclusive; for example, you may both submit a report using one of the UK forms and contact the Inclusive Excellence Committee and Dr. Brown.
- If you have immediate safety concerns or an emergency, please immediately contact UKPD at 1-859-257-UKPD(8573) or 911.